Introduction:

BEEKEEPING IN THE NORTHEAST - An account of my beekeeping, not a treatise of expertise, but for friends & family who wish to keep bees vicariously through me, and for the occasional apiarist passer-by.

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Bringing Pollen In!

We took a drive to the NH Coast Sunday and realized how very far behind the season we are. Perhaps two weeks behind everyone else. Our mountain intervale is as much as a zone behind farms a mile away, so imagine my surprise to see the bees bringing pollen in last Saturday.

All nine hives seem to have good queens. I did see one drone, as shown in this video, coming out of my little blue Palmer hive. The biggest hive will need some attention. I'll strive to get them reversed before dandelions come into bloom.

Enjoy:


2 comments:

Marie Hanson said...

Hi Althena! I stayed up and read your blog from start to finish last night and would love to meet you! I live in Wakefield. I don't know if you are aware of the new club started in Carroll County. It is the Winnipesaukee Beekeepers Association and it meets the first Thursday of the month at the Tuftonboro Library from 6:30-8:30. Hope to see you there, Marie Hanson

athenasbees said...

Hi Marie, I just had a visit with one of the beekeepers and Wendy Booth is speaking at the next meeting so of course I'll have to be there. Thanks for reading my blog. So happy some heavy hitters are pulling together to make a club happen. Still a farther drive for me than the Maine clubs but at least it is NH.