Introduction:

BEEKEEPING IN THE NORTHEAST - An account of my beekeeping, not a treatise of expertise, but for friends & family who wish to keep bees vicariously through me, and for the occasional apiarist passer-by.

Saturday, November 29, 2014

November Chills


I haven't been idle but too busy to keep up with recording the winter prep on the hives. I believe they are as ready as can be. I wrapped them this year in roofing felt. Just stapled it on.

I added the nifty little porches to give the bees a lift back if they should go out in the cold and already I see two thawing bees on the porch in the sun... however it was only 9F this morning. I've heard of them coming back to life after a cold day out.

I went down to the Honey Exchange in Portland and very much enjoyed a class on Mead Making by James Lindenschmidt of Bardic Brews. Mine should be ready in 4 to 6 months.

No comments: