Introduction:

BEEKEEPING IN THE NORTHEAST - An account of my beekeeping, not a treatise of expertise, but for friends & family who wish to keep bees vicariously through me, and for the occasional apiarist passer-by.

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Feeding As Cold Sets In

50's daytime 30's night temps F

ALL BEES FLYING ON A 54F day!

Here are some photos of my feeding efforts. I bought the Mann Lake Pro Health patties and cut them up into strips to lay on top of the frames. Because I want to spare my bees the energy of cleanup, I've taken off the paper. I also have not seen the patties disappear very fast so want to maintain good circulation in the hive. That is why I do not just lay the whole patty down. I gave each hive four strips; then a few days later three strips. They have been slow at the syrup but it has been disappearing. I don't' know how much longer I can feed syrup but you never know these days what the weather will do.

No comments: